TOP REASONS TO DELAY BABY’S FIRST BATH
Top Reasons to Delay Baby’s First Bath
Delayed Bathing – Consider delaying baby’s first bath
Did you consider or request to delay your baby’s first bath? How long did you wait?
Let’s chat about a few factors to consider delaying bathing a newborn baby:
- There’s really no rush. That first bath can be such a lovely bonding moment for parents.
- If your baby is unbathed, hospital staff will have to wear gloves when handling your baby- lowering the risk of hospital-acquired infections.
- Leave that amazing vernix on – research has shown that vernix has immune properties, giving your baby a natural protective layer.
- There’s no better moisturizer known to man!
- More time for early skin to skin.
- Can help prevent loss in body temperature caused by bathing too early. Early bathing can also create stress in a newborn and also lower their blood sugar.
It’s great to hear that many hospitals and birth centres encourage the practice of delaying baby’s first bath!